Overall, 2017 was a really great year for me. I turned 24, moved across the country, and started a whole new life. It was the defining kind of year that I’m sure I’ll remember for years to come. Here’s a quick-fire, bullet point look back at the year for me.
- celebrated New Year’s in Vermont with my cousin
- started my first round of Whole 30
- met my puppy, Gracie
- went to Washington DC with my mom, sister, and our exchange student
- the Patriots won the Super Bowl!
- went to the Patriots parade and then got a terrible cold
- started a short-term weekend job in the birth certificate department of a hospital
- it snowed a lot
- read a lot of books
- continued to work on my novel in my writing class
- turned 24!
- my friends threw me a surprise birthday party
- officially bought my one way ticket to LA!
- worked at a film festival
- kept reading lots of books
- saw Bastille in concert!
- moved to LA!
- signed a lease for my very first apartment
- went furniture shopping and spent a lot of money getting settled
- explored a lot on my own
- felt lonely at times and let it be okay
- interviewed for 3 jobs and spent a lot of time on job applications
- went to the LA Times Festival of Books
- joined November Project LAX!
- went to a Dodgers game
- got a California drivers’ license and bought a car
- started my first real adult job!!!
- went running a lot, spent lots of time outdoors
- went to Tijuana, Mexico with my coworker!
- kept going to November Project and started to feel a bit more at home there
- kept exploring LA
- went to the beach a few times
- celebrated the 4th of July with an outdoor showing of Jurassic Park
- got probably the worst sunburn of my entire life at the beach
- got tickets to a pre-release screening of Dunkirk, which made me feel very Los Angeles
- started reading more books again
- went to Harry Potter World (twice!!)
- went to a workout at the Hollywood Bowl
- did a second round of Whole 30
- saw Bebe Rexha in concert
- started hanging out more with people from November Project!
- went to my coworker’s wedding
- went to Disneyland!
- saw David Cook in concert at the Troubadour
- went to San Francisco to visit my friend Mallory!
- Ran a 10k, went to Disneyland, and went to a Dodgers game – all in one day
- The very next day, ran a 5k and then went BACK to Disneyland
- Saw Arizona at the Troubadour
- went on an overnight running/camping adventure in Joshua Tree
- fell and rolled my ankle during said overnight adventure
- saw Niall Horan in concert at the Palladium
- saw Harry Styles in concert at the Greek
- went to Las Vegas spur of the moment to the iHeart Radio Music Festival
- saw Bleachers in concert at the Fonda
- read a lot of books
- had my first weekend work event
- got a tattoo for the first time!
- went to Phoenix, AZ for a Harry Styles concert
- saw MUNA in concert at the Fonda
- saw HAIM in concert at the Greek
- went to We Can Survive at the Hollywood Bowl, where I saw Niall Horan and Harry Styles again
- went to bed at 2 am that night and woke up at 5 am to go run a 5k with my friend Bri and people from November Project
- went home to Boston
- my best friend got married! A bunch of us stayed at the hotel that night and it was the most fun ever
- flew back to LA on Halloween afternoon
- hibernated a lot – didn’t go too many places or do too much after the whirlwind of the last two months
- ran a 10k and got a personal best
- adventured with new friends
- celebrated thanksgiving at my friend Liz’s house
- wore a different outfit every day of the month for No Repeat November – and then never wrote a blog post on it! Whoops
- got a half marathon PR!
- saw John Mulaney and laughed so hard my stomach hurt
- saw Lady Bird, one of my favorite films of 2017
- went to Disneyland with people from work
- saw Cam in concert at the Troubadour
- got sick 🙁
- my family came to visit!
- went to Harry Potter World, Warner Bros Studio Tour (super super cool), Santa Barbara, San Diego, and a lot more
- spent Christmas in Santa Monica riding bikes on the beach
- ended the year in an AirBnb in San Diego, asleep before midnight
So there it is: 2017 in 108 boxes. Between the palm trees and sunset pictures, there’s been a lot of heartache and worry and anxiety. There’s also been a lot of joy and discovery and independence. It was a good year.